At a cost of $575, the Standard Critique gets your publication examined by three reviewers, who'll provide specific feedback on the magazine's editorial and design. TABPI gives a report to the editor, who can thoroughly review the results with the editorial and design staff. Sample reports are here (80KB PDF) and here (44KB PDF).
TABPI is also offering a Premium Critique service at $975. With this option, one of the three reviewers is a TABPI-approved editorial consultant, who'll conduct a one-hour conference call with you and your staff. You'll also get a written report.
The TABPI web site has a list of some of the reviewers, reproduced here:
- Robert Freedman, senior editor, REALTOR Magazine, and former ASBPE president.
- Shawn Hoefler, art director, HPAC Engineering
- Robin Sherman, associate director, ASBPE, and former editorial director, Argus Publishing
- Jyme Mariani, managing editor, GM Pro, and president, ASBPE Dallas/Fort Worth chapter
- Karen Angus, art director, GIE Media
- Jennifer Hicks, executive editor, Foodservice Equipment Reports
- Len Strazewski, Journalism Department, Columbia College Chicago
- Frank Alkyer, publisher, Downbeat/Music Inc./UpBeat Daily
- Paul Conley, head of Paul Conley Consulting.
Complete information about the MCS, including answers to frequently asked questions, a submission form, and links to the sample critiques, are available on the TABPI website.