Click image for video.
ASBPE associate director Robin Sherman is officially a media celebrity.
Despite the antics, Sherman's purpose at the show was a serious one: To talk about ethics, and specifically the troubling results of ASBPE's exclusive research on ethics.
Among other findings, the 2003 survey found that 76% of ASBPE members had faced ad-related editorial demands — and as many as 30% of those who faced such pressure succumbed. Specific demands members confronted included:
- providing advertorial space,
- publishing special product sections,
- printing corporate profiles of advertisers
- killing stories or negative coverage,
- softening a story objectionable story.
- "Under the Influence," the report on ASBPE's ethics research:
- ASBPE's Guide to Preferred Editorial Practices
- From Paul Conley's blog:
- Previous ASBPE-Boston posts: